Let the light in with a sunroom addition.
Are you looking to expand your existing space or add extra rooms with a home addition? There is a lot to consider before you start building. Our home improvement experts answer your questions on why you may need an addition, what type of additions are possible, the value of an addition, and what you need to do to prepare.
Why Do I Need an Addition to My Home?
One of the main reasons for adding to your home is the advantage of more space. Some prime examples include expanding an existing room such as a kitchen or adding to your home with a:
- Nursery or extra bedroom
- Extra bathroom
- Dining area
- Office or workspace
- Home theatre or media room
- Family or rec room
- Gym/fitness area
What are the Different Types of Additions?
When planning an addition, it's crucial to think about where you can expand and what the addition is for — multiple rooms or a single purpose? Some of the different types of additions include:
- A house addition usually involves a structure that has various uses and areas, such as a master bedroom with ensuite bathroom or a rec room with storage space, etc. It usually involves a new foundation and roofline with multiple levels or a single-level attached to the existing home.
- A room addition or bump-out is a single structure usually built onto the side of a house. A bump-out is typically an expansion to an existing room or has a sole purpose, such as a single bedroom or bathroom.
- A sunroom addition often involves building a smaller living space to the side or back of a house that gets the most sun. Sunrooms usually have lots of windows and are not meant to be used as permanent sleeping spaces. They can also include a walk-out to the outdoors.
What is the Value of An Addition?
While house improvement projects such as an addition can increase the value of your home, there are factors to consider. These include:
- The condition and size of your home
- Your home’s location
- What rooms you are expanding or adding to (kitchens and bathrooms tend to have more value than other parts of a house)
- The cost of materials and labour
- The housing market, and when/if you plan to sell your home after the addition
How Do I Prepare for a Home Addition?
There is a lot to think about when getting ready to add to your home. You'll need to consider budget, planning and design, construction, and how you'll live on the premises while work is underway. Ask yourself these critical questions:
- How much will it cost?
- What permits do I need?
- Who will do the planning and building?
- What are the inconveniences, and how will I handle them?
- Where do I begin?
For more Tips and Tools, please read our blog on How to Research for your Home Renovation Project.
Are you looking to build onto your home? Kelowna builders Rafter 4K Contracting has years of experience helping Okanagan residents create space with home improvement renovations and additions. Contact us to get a quote or for more information.